Problem with grep

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu
Tue Jan 27 06:04:40 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I have the latest version of grep and it has a "feature" now that I may
not want.

As part of something I am doing here, I need grep to search a file for
"-10-", minus the quotes. If it exists, it needs to do a command. So, my
grep line looks like this:

if [ `grep "-Z003-" ${dir}$1.$$ | /usr/bin/wc -l` -gt 0 ]
(then do blah blah blah...)

This used to work, but now it doesn't. It doesn't like the dashes at the
beginning and end, and it gives me an "ILLEGAL OPTION" error. What
changed, and how can I get it to work? The dashes absolutely need to be in
there.

Thanks for any help!

E-mail: gilbert at niu.edu                                               ***