Help-Installed system does not start

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Tue Jan 27 14:11:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 00:16, Delbaere, Tim wrote:
> OK, tried that, and got the install screwed. Had to re-install, and once
> again after I used Vi to edit the inittab file, it reboots and tells me the
> installation is damaged. Drops me into a shell but with all the files read
> only and I can't edit the inittab file.
>
> If I do get to a text prompt, what is the Fedora configuration tool for
> setting up X?

redhat-config-xfree86

If you want to get to a text based login, rather than screwing with your
boot loader (grub), just boot up to the graphical login, type
"CNTL-ALT-F1", which gets you to a "virtual" console, log in there as
root, and make the suggested change to /etc/inittab. Then rebpoot.
C-A-F1 should work even if X is not working correctly.

Cheers, Ben