benchmarking FC1

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 27 16:26:41 UTC 2004

Emiliano Brunetti wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 17:03, Paolo wrote:
>

>>Emiliano Brunetti said:
>>[...]
>>

>>>I googled a bit and didn't find much about benchmarking normal desktop
>>>usage. Maybe the case is that there isn't still anything.
>>>

>>You don't find anything because you don't know what u want to benchmark ;)
>>

>Please read previous posts. I need to benchmark 'normal desktop usage',
>that in such case could be disk I/O, graphic adapter performance and cpu
>load, all in normal conditions - that is somehow simulating a normal
>desktop usage (spreadsheet, writing, surfing, emailing, doing a little
>of graphic stuff).
>
>It is *all* in previous posts.

"Productivity application benchmarks" do not exist.. It all comes down
to the main components of a PC, CPU power (most new systems today have
way more then will ever be needed by most users in any productivity
app), RAM (Pretty cheap these days to add as much as you need) and Hard
disk throughput/access time (continually getting faster)..

Are you comparing OS's or Hardware or Applications??

What are you trying to test and what is the result you need to produce??

Who asked you to do the tests and what information are they needing to
make whatever decision will be based on the tests??

You haven't really given enogh information as to what result you are
trying to get to and so the answers you are getting back are
consequently of no use to you..

Later..