benchmarking FC1

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano.brunetti at fastwebnet.it
Tue Jan 27 16:36:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 17:26, WipeOut wrote:

> >>You don't find anything because you don't know what u want to benchmark ;)
> >>

> >Please read previous posts. I need to benchmark 'normal desktop usage',
> >that in such case could be disk I/O, graphic adapter performance and cpu
> >load, all in normal conditions - that is somehow simulating a normal
> >desktop usage (spreadsheet, writing, surfing, emailing, doing a little
> >of graphic stuff).
> >
> >It is *all* in previous posts.
> >
> "Productivity application benchmarks" do not exist..

This is really a good answer. Thanks. I will probably have to give this
thing up.

> It all comes down
> to the main components of a PC, CPU power (most new systems today have
> way more then will ever be needed by most users in any productivity
> app), RAM (Pretty cheap these days to add as much as you need) and Hard
> disk throughput/access time (continually getting faster)..
>
> Are you comparing OS's or Hardware or Applications??
>
> What are you trying to test and what is the result you need to produce??
>
> Who asked you to do the tests and what information are they needing to
> make whatever decision will be based on the tests??
>
> You haven't really given enogh information as to what result you are
> trying to get to and so the answers you are getting back are
> consequently of no use to you..

Sorry, i disagree.

Some of the answers were extremely useful.

In my second post i wrote:

>Yes, you are right. Normal desktop usage. I wonder if there are any
>tools for linux benchmarking like those they have for windows >machines

and forgive me if i consider this to be enough info on the subject.
In some other posts i tried to make it more clear. And indeed by your
help and those of others i realized that there are no such
tools/packages for linux (yet :) ) and most of 'benchmarking' ra
definitely low level of for specific server application.

I was also advised to try and do it by hands, but it is not really a
solution - though being possible.

As to who asked me what...well i live in europe: privacy rulez. ;)

E.