FC2 and 2.6 kernel -- how smooth a transition?

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jan 27 17:31:21 UTC 2004

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   given that the 2.6 kernel is one of the "stop-ship" features for FC 2,
> what does this mean in terms of being able to upgrade from FC 1?
> this goes back to previous threads involving things like LVM vs LVM2,
> not to mention things like ALSA, USB, module name changes in the
> file /etc/rc.sysinit and more.
>
>   i'm assuming that FC2 should behave given a fresh install, but it's
> not so clear how well upgrades will work given the obvious
> incompatibilities in certain spots.
>
>   is there a HOWTO/write-up on what's going to happen here?  i ran
> the 2.6 (pre) kernel for the longest time until i wanted to start using
> LVM, then had to back off to 2.4.22.  i'd like to get back to 2.6 some
> day, to start playing with the cryptoloop stuff, and it seems obvious
> that i should just wait for FC2, but it's not clear that that's going to
> deal with all of the outstanding issues.
>
>   it's *certainly* not clear whether it's going to be possible to switch
> between a 2.4 and a 2.6 kernel upon reboot, given the differences
> in underlying files like /etc/rc.sysinit, modules.conf versus modprobe.conf
> and so on.
>
>   thoughts?
>
> rday

They are disabling OSS drivers in the 2.6 kernels of late. I thnk that
there is going to be a lot to get used to with the changes, relating to
sound. There is going to be a need to report any problems, which there
will be many, during the upcoming tests.

I guess the plan is to boot exclusively using the 2.6 kernel and not mix
with the 2.4 kernel for the Fedora Core 2 version that is to be coming
out to test shortly.

Hopefully the testing phase catches most of the transitional problems
before product release date.

This beta phase should be full with problems related to the changing of
the kernel, interaction with SE Linux, new versions of GNOME, KDE and
other tools and programs.

I guess we'll know when they release phase 1 to be tested.

Jim