Adding Windows 2000 into a dual-boot after the fact?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Jan 27 21:10:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:00:51AM -0500, Keven Ring wrote:
> Preston Crawford wrote:
>
> >I have a nice, well-running, well behaved Fedora installation. I'm
> >thinking of buying Windows because I need to learn ASP.NET and Mono, for
> >all that it does well, has some shortcomings. Plus there's no good
> >editor for ASP.NET. Anyway, that's the "why would you want to do this"
> >part. As far as how I would do it, I have a second hard drive. I think I
> >can just install the second hard drive with Windows and then point Grub
> >at that drive as a possible boot point. Is that true? Or will Windows
> >want to erase the MBR of HDA and thus this won't be possible at all
> >unless I swap the places of the hard drives and reinstall GRUB onto the
> >new HDA?
> >
> >Either way, I'd like to do this (assuming I even choose to do it) in a
> >fashion that doesn't ruin my Linux install.
> >
> >Preston
> >

> MS Windows does not like being on a secondary hard drive.

Not entirely. Mess-DOS and its descendants (W9x, Wme, etc.) have to
boot from the primary partition of the first hard drive. NT does not
descend from Mess-DOS, and can boot from any primary partition (and
for all I know, perhaps any partition at all). As XP is descended from
NT, it should boot from any hard drive.