Adding Windows 2000 into a dual-boot after the fact?

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Tue Jan 27 21:21:19 UTC 2004

> Preston, please set your mail reader to wrap lines. 74 characters per
> line would be nice. Thank you.

I wish I could. This is being sent (when I'm at work I have to use this) via the webmail my ISP provides. Sorry. :-(

> Even without hot swapping, those removable drive carriers are a
> disaster waiting to happen. I've taught in classrooms where everyone
> had their own hard drive for each class and everyone plugged in at the
> beginning of the class and unplugged at the end. We saw the carriers
> wear out quickly. Loose contacts mean erratic failures, which meant
> corrupted file systems. In once case, we had to re-install Linux
> several times in a semester for one student.

Eeek!

> We didn't care all that much, as the hard drives' contents were
> expendible. I doubt that's true of your home machine.

Definitely.

> Also, if you swap between two drives, you have no simple way to
> transfer files between them. Having two drives in the computer gives
> you this.
>
> Plus, why spend the money if you don't have to.
>
> For your own system, avoid them.

Thanks. I probably will. It was just a passing thought I had to perhaps avoid whatever headaches might come from setting up the dual boot. That little line someone showed me earlier looked ingenious, but potentially unsafe. But then again, I know little about Grub or those drive bays, so that's why I asked.

Preston