Hardware-monitor for Linux?

Prasanth Kumar lunix at comcast.net
Wed Jan 28 06:04:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 21:26, Jeff Stampes wrote:
> Ben Stringer wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 15:08, Troy Campano wrote:
> >

> >>I have lm-sensors installed and gkrellm but fan and voltage monitoring
> >>are grayed out. I can see CPU temp though.
> >>
> >>Any ideas why?
> >>

> >You have to configure lm_sensors for your system, as it is highly
> >dependant on the motherboard and system bus.
> >
> >Run "/usr/sbin/sensors-detect" as root. It guides you through the
> >changes required to get lm_sensors monitoring your hardware\
> >

> As a completely uneducated idiot, I've bumbled my way through a lot of
> linux issues.  What does it mean when running lm-sensors results in a
> nonstop alarm?
>
> ~Jeff

By 'nonstop alarm' do you mean the computer is beeping continuously? If
so then what likely happened is the lm_sensors detected a fan or voltage
parameter out of the permissible range. For example if the fan rpm falls
below a certain level it may have failed. Beyond actual hardware failure
what is more likely is that something is misconfigured. For example the
alarm threshold may be too high. A even more common problem is that the
hardware is misdetected. The reason being that fan and voltage
monitoring hardware is not very standardized so each motherboard has
different i/o registers, scale and calibration factors, etc. I've seen
the same problem with Windows utilities for fan and voltage monitoring.
It is really hit or miss unless you know what chip is used on your
motherboard. I wish Intel or somebody would standardize the interface
to this stuff.

--
Prasanth