New NVidia 5336 Drivers Available - 2.6 Kernel Support

Wed Jan 28 14:17:44 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Just a quick heads up that NVidia has made available new drivers
(version 5336) available, which now include support for the 2.6 kernel.

I am not running 2.6, however I did install the new drivers this morning
on a Dell i8200 laptop with a 64 Mb 440 Go card. Using the 4496 drivers,
I got around 2000 FPS with glxgears. With 5336, I am getting around 2100
FPS with glxgears.

YMMV.

The new drivers are available here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-5336.html

and you might want to review the NVidia Linux Forums for more feedback
and experience from others:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

BTW, my installation routine for FC1 for these drivers consists of the
following, to overcome the gcc version issue:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1-custom.run

I have a shell script with the above two commands to make the process
easier. The first command generates the second executable file.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz