Benefits of different file systems (Was: how about resiser?)

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Wed Jan 28 15:18:08 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>For the others like jfs or xfs I have no personal experience. I only
>tried on a test system xfs and it was fast and offers ACLs (very useful
>if you have a samba server in an NT/W2k/WXP environment). Some reported
>a performance boost running cyrus-imapd maildir on xfs in contrast to
>ext3.

XFS also has some great tools (xfs-dump for backup, xfs_repair, and
xfs_growfs). SGI has used this filesystem on their unix machines for at
least ten years, so it is a mature filesystem. I had used XFS for a
couple of years with linux, and was very pleased. The only reason I
stopped using it was because whenever RedHat came out with an updated
kernel, I would have to wait for SGI to update their kernel. Since XFS
support will be included in the 2.6 kernel, I will be going back to XFS.