Disk Layout/Partitioning Practices

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 28 15:28:19 UTC 2004

Ron Herardian wrote:

>Hello,
>
>When installing everything and allowing for future updates and packages I am using the following disk layout:
>
>	Mount Point	Size
>	/boot		100MB
>	/		500MB
>	/usr		4GB
>	/var		2GB
>	swap		2x physical RAM, e.g., 1GB
>	/home		TBD, e.g., 1GB per user
>        /opt		TBD/catchall [3rd party servers will be installed here]
>
>I want to have enough space on required partitions but not waste space on infrequently modified filesystems where add-on packages will probably not go.
>
>I'd like to get an idea what other folks are doing in terms of disk layouts. What are the best practices?
>
>Ron

My only real comment is on the swap allocation.. I think the 2 X RAM is
old school thinking from back in the day when RAM was expensive and a
highend server had 128MB of it.. If your system ever needs to used more
than about 128 - 256MB of swap space then you seriously need to a) add
more RAM or b) offload some of the services on the server to another..

But thats just my opinion..

Also I would probably allocate a bit more to /var depending on how much
loging you plan to do and how long you plan to keep the logs, also how
big you expect you mail queue and users mail inbox's to be since they
are also usually in /var..

later..