New NVidia 5336 Drivers Available - 2.6 Kernel Support

Peter Eddy petere at atg.com
Wed Jan 28 17:52:22 UTC 2004

Bobby Ryan Newberry wrote:

> Could anyone tell me how to shut down the X-Windows server in Fedora,
> long enough to install the new drivers?

I don't know anything about NVidia drivers, but I'd bet you'll be fine
just installing the new drivers and then restarting X. (log out, at the
gdm login prompt do 'ctrl-alt-backspace' to be sure it's restarted.)

If you can't do that for some reason you can run, "telinit 3" as root to
switch to a non-X runlevel. Install the drivers, then "telinit 5" to get
back to the gdm login stuff.

Peter