Disk Layout/Partitioning Practices

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Wed Jan 28 18:27:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 10:01, Ron Herardian wrote:

> When installing everything and allowing for future updates and
> packages I am using the following disk layout:
>
> 	Mount Point	Size
> 	/boot		100MB
> 	/		500MB
> 	/usr		4GB
> 	/var		2GB
> 	swap		2x physical RAM, e.g., 1GB
> 	/home		TBD, e.g., 1GB per user
>         /opt		TBD/catchall [3rd party servers will be installed here]
>
> I want to have enough space on required partitions but not waste space
> on infrequently modified filesystems where add-on packages will
> probably not go.
>
> I'd like to get an idea what other folks are doing in terms of disk
> layouts. What are the best practices?

	FWIW, this is my general server guideline layout...

/boot	= 100M
/	= 500M
/home	= Varies depending on the ratio of users to total drive space
/opt	= Between 1G and 5G depending on what you're installing
/usr	= 2G
/usr/local	= Between 1G and 2G
/var	= 2G
/var/spool	= 2G to 5G depending on potential mail usage

--
Akebono vs Godzilla!  Coming soon to a theater near you.