passwd_compat: ldap?

Brian K. Jones jonesy at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Jan 28 18:47:35 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've asked this question before, and on several other mailing lists, but
no answer yet.

I want to be able to authenticate users using 'compat' against an ldap
directory, such that this notation works (in nsswitch.conf)

passwd: compat
passwd_compat: ldap

I've heard rumours that this does work in RHEL 3, so I'm trying to
figure out what the magic incantation is to get it working in FC 1.
Under FC1, the syntax in nsswitch doesn't cause an error - but it
doesn't enforce the '+username' notation in /etc/passwd either - anyone
with a valid account on the ldap server gets in. Presumably, this is a
glibc-specific, and not a nss_ldap-specific issue, since libnss_compat
is bundled with glibc.

I am wildly grateful for anything resembling a clue here.
Thanks!