adding unlisted printers with redhat-config-printer

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed Jan 28 19:46:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 09:36, Joe Beach wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 09:25, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > Try using foomatic-ppdload.
>
> I just tried it and got:
>
> # foomatic-ppdload TKPH5601.PPD Tektronix-560
> Printer Tektronix-560 does not seem to exist in the database!

I think the foomatic-ppdload documentation is wrong.  foomatic-ppdload
is a Perl script which early on has the lines:

    if (! -f "$libdir/db/source/printer/$printer.xml") {
	die "Printer $printer does not seem to exist in the database!\n";
    }

meaning that unless $printer.xml already exists it stops.  Even
commenting this out, though, doesn't really help, because then
foomatic-ppdload seems to do nothing but append a nearly empty entry to
ppd.xml whose purpose seems to be to just tell foomatic that the printer
exists.

That is, I think you need the .xml file and not the .ppd one.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge