ALSA problems with recent kernels

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Wed Jan 28 20:04:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:44:48 -0500, Neal D. Becker wrote:

> I am testing fedora1 + alsa RPMS (from fedora stable) on recent 2.4 fedora
> kernels.
>
> It was working with earlier 2.4 kernels (e.g., original fedora1).  I am
> using SBLive, emu10k1 module.

So, if you went back to "original" FC1 kernel release 1.2115, you
can reproduce that it works again?

> With the most recent kernels, 2.4.22-1.2149, 2.4.22-1.2140, I get a
> different result.  As soon as the kernel module is loaded, the card starts
> SCREAMING a deafening high-pitched screech!

Is this with alsaconf or manual editing of modules.conf?

> It's all I can do to edit modules.conf and switch back to OSS before going
> deaf.
>
> Needless to say, I sure hope this is fixed before 2.6.

You could try a 2.6 kernel from development tree any time to find out. It
is likely that ALSA in the 2.6 kernel behaves different than ALSA in the
2.4 kernel.

> Am I the only victim?

I have a different chipset, so I can't comment on EMU 10k.