Adding Windows 2000 into a dual-boot after the fact?

Mike Vanecek fedora_list at mm-vanecek.cc
Wed Jan 28 21:36:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:43:24 -0500, Shawn Iverson wrote
> If by chance grub isn't happy with W2K (I know I had trouble with
> RH9), you can use the W2K bootloader to book Linux by doing the following:
>
> If your linux boot partition is /dev/hda1:
>
> dd if=/dev/hda1 of=boot.lin bs=512 count=1
>
> Copy the boot.lin onto the root of the W2K partition, using a floppy
> or some other means.
>
> Edit your boot.ini and add the following under [boot loader]:
>
> c:\boot.lin="Fedora"

I do this all the time when windows is on the master ide0 drive and does the
booting. It is a good idea to have a Linux boot floppy when doing all this
though. One can then make linux the default.

I normally do not make Linux the master ide0 drive with it booting first (with
its tracks on the MBR). What changes would be made to grub to boot? Something
like:

title Windows
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        chainloader +1

I assume windows is just installed on the slave drive as though it were the
master?