Anti-virus Programs

Mitch Oliver mitch_v_oliver at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 02:59:23 UTC 2004

> What do you guys use for non-email based virus scanners?

The best Linux virus scanner I've found is Clam-AV:
	http://clamav.sourceforge.net/
To be honest, you have absolutely no vulnerability to Windows viruses.  For more information, I recommend you read the Linux Virus Writing HOWTO on tldp.org.  It will give you more info on why viruses are a non-issue with Linux.
Your best protection will always be to turn off unused services, run a firewall, avoid buggy programs, and always use strong passwords.  Cracking is a much more clear and present threat to your Linux install than viruses will ever be.

Mitch Oliver