Default Sendmail Configuration Changes?

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Thu Jan 29 13:39:22 UTC 2004

I recently upgraded a server from RH9 to FC1 (via yum, which worked
surprisingly well).  One problem we've had is that the configuration format
for Sendmail seems to have changed enough that we needed to go through that
pretty thoroughly and update everything.  One thing we still have not
managed to get working correctly is the ability to send mail from local
network clients.  Clients can all read mail fine and by running pine or mutt
on the server we can send mail without problems.  But with Mozilla Mail
(which is what our users mostly use) we are asked for a SMTP password and
when it is provided, we are simply asked again, as though the password we
provided were wrong (I'm pretty sure I'm getting it right).  Has something
changed in the default method for authenticating?  Is this even a sendmail
issue?  Since we can READ mail without problems, I assume we can
authenticate at some level (using IMAPS).  Our iptables is allowing ports
993 and 465 through so I don't think that's the problem.
Sendmail-cf-8.12.10-1.1.1 on FC1.  Suggestions welcome.

--
Henry Hartley