zip drive problem

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Thu Jan 29 13:55:40 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 09:12 pm, Scott Talbot wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 15:56, Charles Curley wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 05:29:01PM -0600, Charles Howse wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > FC1, w/ KDE.
> > > [root at moe charles]# uname -r
> > > 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
> > >
> > > What type filesystem do I have to have on my zip disks to be able to
> > > mount them with the default entery in /etc/fstab?  I've just booted to
> > > windows and formatted a 100M disk with the fat filesystem, but...
> > >
> > > [root at moe charles]# mount /mnt/zip
> > > mount: /dev/sda4 is not a valid block device
> > >
> > > I *can* mount them at /dev/sda1...
> > > [root at moe charles]# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/zip
> > > [root at moe charles]#

> > > /dev/sda4               /mnt/zip                auto
> > > noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
> >
> > I suspect it isn't a matter of file system but of which device you are
> > trying to load. If you can mount at /dev/sda1, then try changing the
> > line in fstab to reflect that.
> >
> > For more info, see the ZIP Drive HOWTO, at http://www.tldp.org/
>
> 	There was a thread recently that really helped a lot.  Seems thee is a
> file /etc/updfstab.conf.default that kudzu uses to change fstab.  In
> that file there is an entry for Zip drives that specifies Partition 4.
> My Zip works with partition = 0, Looks like yours is 1 9no idea why this
> should be, but I think it might be that if your disk came with software,
> then it may have been set up that way.  I never looked at it with fdisk.
>
> 	anyway just edit the file (as root) that should fix your problems.

Great answer!  Thanks, Scott!
I changed /etc/updfstab.conf.default, also changed the type of filesystem in
/etc/fstab to fat,vfat since that's then only kind of filesystems I have on
my zippers.  Working fine now, will lreboot in a while to make sure my
changes aren't getting trashed on reboot.

--
Charles Howse
Jackson, TN