Default Sendmail Configuration Changes?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 29 15:07:02 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 29.01.2004 schrieb Henry Hartley um 14:39:
> I recently upgraded a server from RH9 to FC1 (via yum, which worked
> surprisingly well).  One problem we've had is that the configuration format
> for Sendmail seems to have changed enough that we needed to go through that
> pretty thoroughly and update everything.  One thing we still have not
> managed to get working correctly is the ability to send mail from local
> network clients.  Clients can all read mail fine and by running pine or mutt
> on the server we can send mail without problems.  But with Mozilla Mail
> (which is what our users mostly use) we are asked for a SMTP password and
> when it is provided, we are simply asked again, as though the password we
> provided were wrong (I'm pretty sure I'm getting it right).  Has something
> changed in the default method for authenticating?  Is this even a sendmail
> issue?  Since we can READ mail without problems, I assume we can
> authenticate at some level (using IMAPS).  Our iptables is allowing ports
> 993 and 465 through so I don't think that's the problem.
> Sendmail-cf-8.12.10-1.1.1 on FC1.  Suggestions welcome.
>
> --
> Henry Hartley

Sendmail (as MTA) and the IMAP server (probably uw-imap) are too
completely different things. If one works the other does not have to
work too in consequence!

The configuration format for Sendmail from RH9 to FC1 did not change, as
both come with Sendmail version 8.12.x. Your authentification problem
may come from a not correctly setup authentication: Sendmail on FC1 uses
by default the saslauthd (/usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf). So this daemon
has to run -> chkconfig --list saslauthd -> service saslauthd start.
Dependant on which AUTH mechanisms you are using a different sasl2 setup
is needed.

Your firewall has to be open on port 25 too! Otherwise it can't work. At
least Sendmail can not talk with other MTAs to send or receive mail. By
default TLS encrypted connections to Sendmail too run on port 25 and not
465. You can that change in sendmail.mc if that is desired (MSA daemon
options).

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 15:59:40 up 47 min, 7 average: 0.20, 0.30, 0.25
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]