Newbie Question - LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 29 18:05:17 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 29.01.2004 schrieb Will Clifton um 18:44:
> Thank you Alexander.
>
> >Do not do what you did!
>
> OK, I removed those entries from my profile.
>
> >What is the exact error message you get? Did you run configure without
> >error message? The error occurs during make? You have all necessary
> >libraries installed for you compilation?
>
> Here is sample output of the install. I received no errors of failed
> dependencies, all necessary libraries seemed to be installed. I just
> continue to get the following error message pertaining to LIBDIR. All of
> the necessary library paths are in my ld.so.conf file, I just want to
> know how to resolve this error message. My apologies if I'm not giving
> you the information you ask, tell me what else you need me to provide.
>
> -------------------------------
> Libraries have been installed in:
> /usr/local/lib
>
> To link against installed libraries in a given directory, LIBDIR,
> you must use the `-LLIBDIR' flag during linking.
>
> You will also need to do one of the following:
> - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable during
> execution
> - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'
> ----------------------------------

Ah, I see now what's going on.

You say you added your library path to /etc/ld.so.conf. Did you run
ldconfig too?

If that does not work for you, you will have to pass ./configure the
additional library path as said above with one of the possibilities a
"./configure --help" offers you. Or you just edit the Makefile and add
the -L/usr/local/lib to the proper place.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 18:58:23 up 3:45, 7 users, 0.03, 0.05, 0.07
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]