anyone familiar with k3b in Fedora?

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Thu Jan 29 18:28:53 UTC 2004

On Thursday 29 January 2004 11:17 am, Mihai Maties wrote:
> On Thursday 29 January 2004 18:31, Dave Stevens wrote:
> > I have a Lite-on DVDRW LDW 411S CD and DVD burner and could not find a
> > working CD burner in the default set of FC1 packages. I am trying to use
> > k3b. The user interface is very nice, but for some perverse reason it
> > doesn't actually write anything on the CD. I am trying to make a copy of
> > some music and have tried burning an audio cd from ripped mp3s and no
> > joy.
> >
> > ideas?
>
> What is the output of :
> cdrecord -scanbus
> cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI:
> cat /proc/cmdline
> ?
>
> Maybe the permissions on your devices or to cdrecord/readcd/cdrdao are
> wrong. You could try to run K3b as root and see if it helps.

I am also having trouble with k3b finding my burner.
I'm running FC1, KDE 3.1.
My system plays streaming audio, but doesn't play audio cd's nor will it mount
/dev/cdrom.
Running k3b as root does not help.

[root at moe charles]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jrg
Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily -
Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.75-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c        1.75 02/10/21
Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 250         ' '32.G' Removable Disk
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'AOPEN   ' 'CD-RW CRW5224   ' '1.06' Removable CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

[root at moe charles]# cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jrg
Schilling
scsidev: 'ATAPI'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.
Warning: There may be fatal problems.
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

[root at moe charles]# cat /proc/cmdline
ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi rhgb

[root at moe charles]# cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hdc3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/sda1               /mnt/zip                fat,vfat noauto,owner,kudzu 0
0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

[root at moe charles]# ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Jan 28 16:25 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdd

[root at moe charles]# ls -l /dev/hdd
brw-------    1 charles  disk      22,  64 Sep 15 08:40 /dev/hdd

With Audio CD in drive:
[root at moe charles]# mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

--
Charles Howse
Jackson, TN