Newbie Question - LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Will Clifton wclifton at cox.net
Thu Jan 29 19:02:28 UTC 2004

Thank you once again Alexander.

Actually, the problem is I don't know HOW to add my LIBDIR path to
/etc/ld.so.conf. When I open /etc/ld.so.conf this is what I get:

-----
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/sane
/usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib
------

So how do I add LIBDIR as a global environment parameter? Do I put it in
my ld.so.conf file? What exactly do I add?? Should it be in my
/etc/profile instead?? All I want to do is have the installers be able
to find my LIBDIR because I have gotten this error message with many
programs.

Yes I have run ldconfig (-v so I could read output) and there were no
errors.

I have no problem either editing the Makefile or giving an argument to
./configure, I just want to know how to set the LIBDIR parameter
globally since that is what the installers seem to be looking for.

Thank you so much for your help.

Will

>Ah, I see now what's going on.

>You say you added your library path to /etc/ld.so.conf. Did you run
>ldconfig too?

>If that does not work for you, you will have to pass ./configure the
>additional library path as said above with one of the possibilities a
>"./configure --help" offers you. Or you just edit the Makefile and add
the >-L/usr/local/lib to the proper place.