questions about grub and lilo

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 29 21:44:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

> Fdisk /mbr never hurts. You may need to reinstall grub or lilo afterwards,
> though. In my particular case, I never install a boot loader on the MBR
> record, so I never get that problem.

I do something similar. I install 'Compact boot manager' from
'partition manager' in the MBR (installable using a boot floppy). It
lets me jump to the boot sector any of the primary partitions (max of
4 per disk).

Now I don't depend upon any OS on the HD for fixing/corruption the MBR
(except for the boot floppy with partition manager)

Every os I install - I have its boot loader in its boot partition (not
mbr).

So, my setup is:

MBR <- compact boot manager
   hda1 <- win xp (with ntloader in the boot sector)
   hda2 <- linux boot (with grub on /dev/hda2 not /dev/hda)
   hda3 <- extended partitions etc..

There is a minor issue with grub and the boot manager - but I can work
arround it.

Satish