newbie PS1 config question

Scott Burns scott at mirrabooka.com
Fri Jan 30 00:19:31 UTC 2004

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 03:35:58PM -0800, Ko Pu wrote:
>

>>Thanks to all, I got it working, I didn't know that you could use ${PWD},
>>the doc only mentioned \w or \W. But I still couldn't get rid of the ip
>>address, I would like to replace it with the server name and I replace it
>>in my /etc/sysconfig/network/HOSTNAME, but it still shows, any ideas?
>>

>Wrong place.
>
>Add a line to the file /etc/sysconfig/network of the following type:
>HOSTNAME=myserver.mydomain.net
>
>The change will take place on reboot, but you can apply it manually with
># hostname myserver.mydomain.net
>
>Regards,
>Luciano Rocha

In my experience, changing the hostname while X is running is a Very Bad
Thing.  X authorisations are based on hostname so you will probably not
be able to open any new windows after the change.  I've had mixed
results with restarting X and found a reboot the best option.

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899