Docs for /etc/sysconfig/iptables and iptables-config?

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Jan 30 02:45:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Jeff Vian wrote:

> I use firewall builder as well.  However, after booting with the script
> used to load the rules, I then use '/etc/init.d/iptables save' and
> created the '/etc/sysconfig/iptables' file with all those rules.  Thus,
> I do not have to run the script unless I make a change to the rules.

The only problem with this approach is that you loose some if the functionality
doing it this way. If you have a simple fw then you will not notice. If you
have multiple interfaces setup by fwbuilder or set some of the routing or
port fwding stuff you will loose that functionality by not loading the
fwbuilder script. Of course there are other ways to achieve that functionality,
you just have to understand the limitations.

HTH,

.....Tom