HD Noise

Prasanth Kumar lunix at comcast.net
Fri Jan 30 05:32:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 21:13, Carter J. Castor wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspirion Laptop.  The hard drive is very quite all day;
> however, when I leave it idle at night, it starts spinning like crazy.
> I would turn it off; however, I use KAlarm as my alarm clock so it sits
> by my bed on my desk all night.  I was wondering what would cause it to
> suddenly make so much noise and how I could fix it.

Does this activity always happen on the same time of the day? It could
be tasks scheduled by the crontab daemon. Look at the file /etc/crontab.
By default Fedora Linux has something like this:

01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

The first number on the line is the minute to start. The second number
is the hour. The third is the day and so forth. So the daily tasks
here start at 4:02 AM. You could move the start time to sometime when
it disturbs you less. Or else go to the specific directory and look
for tasks you don't really need. In this case /etc/cron.daily.

--
Regards,
Prasanth