unable to start a gnome-session or mozilla

Avi Aumick avi at m-issues.org
Fri Jan 30 06:46:55 UTC 2004

First some background. I started off with Redhat 8.0 with Ximian Desktop
installed. Prior to upgrading to FD1, I removed all ximian pkgs. I then
proceeded to do an upgrade.

After the upgrade the gnome-session would not start so I went into a KDE
desktop which had no problems starting and started the Add/Replace
program. I added the rest ofthe gnome packages that were not installed in
the upgrade. I retried starting a gnome-session but it would only go
halfway through its initialization and stop with nothing appearing on the
screen.

>From the KDE desktop I tried to start mozilla. I received the following
error which may have a bearing on why the gnome-session would not start.
<error>
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: No manager for initializing factory?

System error?:: Success
</error>

Does anyone have a clue as to why the gnome-session would not start or why
mozilla would not work? Are these two problems related as I think it is?

thanks for your help.

Avram