a couple unresolved log error messages

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 30 13:11:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 03:42, Matt H. wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been getting a couple recurring messages (every bootup) in my
> /var/log/messages file:
>
> localhost init: open(/dev/pts/0): No such file or directory
>
> There's a bugzilla report at id 107725, however I'm not sure this is
> the
> same problem as I don't use fax services. And there's no solution as
> yet
> for that bug.
> Out of curiosity, why is the 2nd pts device (/dev/pts/1) being created
> instead of the 1st (/dev/pts/0)? On my machine I have /dev/pts/1
> existing
> only.
> Would creating a symlink from /dev/pts/0 to /dev/pts/1 fix this
> problem?
>
> The other less important error, but keeps recurring:
>

> localhost kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I
> recognize!
>
> This message always happens on bootup after the line "localhost
> kernel:
> hdb: attached ide-cdrom driver".

Matt,

I also see the message about /dev/pts/0, but have no answer.  However, I
believe the cdrom message is from magicdev.  I do not see it until I log
into X.  I've seen it in RH7.3 and RH9 as well.  Magicdev is trying to
figure out if a cdrom is in the drive and is not finding one.  Could be
little more elegant, but is probably normal.

Bob...