Problem with instruktions from sensors-detect

Bob Arendt rda at rincon.com
Fri Jan 30 15:40:41 UTC 2004

Johan Nilsson wrote:
> I try to activate lm_sensors and run: sensors-detect. And I have some
> problem and questions..
>
> 1) I wounder were i may find which modules that already are loaded in the
> kernel? I said yes, for every thing because I think that the only wrong may
> be overestimation of values?

I believe RedHat uses modules for everything

> 2) Then i almost enden the running I get the instructions to add some
> lines. I found /etc/modules.conf and enter the requested lines "alias
> char-major-89 i2c-dev" to the plain-text file as modules.conf are,
> according to konqueror.
>
> But I don´t know that they mean with "To load everything that is needed,
> add this to some /etc/rc* file:"

Instead of adding the lines to the rc.local, I used the init script
provided with the lm_sensors rpm.  This package seems unfinished ...
the copying, editing the script, should be part of the RPM package.

1) Copy /usr/share/doc/lm_sensors-*/lm_sensors.init
          -->            /etc/init.d/lm_sensors
    Edit the copy, changing "/usr/local/" to "/usr/"

2) Have the sensors-detect package create a /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors
    file.  The meat of this file are lines like:
      MODULE_0=i2c-isa
      MODULE_1=smsc47m1
    This is the list (in order, must start at 0 .. N-1).

3) Enable the initscript at boot, and start it now:
       chkconfig lm_sensors on
       service   lm_sensors start

The chips should start showing up under the appropriate areas in
/proc (2.4 kernel) or /sys (2.6 kernel).  You might try the development
tree lm_sensors-2.8.2.  I'm currently using this with the 2.6.1 kernel
on an ASUS P4P800 motherboard.

Hope this helps,
-Bob Arendt