how to use "ntpd" to emulate "ntpdate"?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Jan 30 16:16:03 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 30.01.2004 schrieb Robert P. J. Day um 17:03:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > > is there a way to have that sync take place immediately
> > > using "ntpd", rather than waiting for the next sync operation, to
> > > more closely emulate the behaviour of ntpdate?
> > >
> > >   or am i misreading the man page?
> >
> > The man page also mentions the option iburst that needs to be specified
> > for this to work. Never tested this, as my firewall is not that mobile
> > :) . If that doesn't work you could try setting minpoll to a very low
> > number.
>
> but the "iburst" option, as useful as it might be, is meant to be
> placed in the config file /etc/ntp.conf.  i was looking for an explicit
> command-line option so that i could sync the system time *without*
> having to mess with the config file first.
>
> as deprecated as "ntpdate" might be, it at least had the virtue of
> being self-contained.
>
> rday

I may misunderstand this discussion, but ntpd is a 'daemon' while
ntpdate is a one time call and run tool.

ntpd is called to run using /etc/init.d/ntpd and it's configuration file
is /etc/ntp.conf. ntpd takes some time to get in sync with other time
servers you configured to use.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 17:13:27 up 2:28, 3 users, 0.22, 0.11, 0.13
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]