mplayer vs. xine

Antti Aspinen antti.aspinen at phnet.fi
Fri Jan 30 20:05:22 UTC 2004

there are gui for MPlayer(it comes with sources), have you tried
./configure --enable-gui option when compling mplayer, then start it
command gmplayer, and by the way you need to download skin and font pack
to it from www.mplayerhq.hu :)
and from there you can also have soooouseful information about mplayer,
you didn't read dokumentation, didn't you?, shame! :D [don't take that
so seriously, I didn't read them either when I first time tried MPlayer
:) ]

Then one thing, Xine is britty good but like you said it is unstable. :(
I like more xine than mplayer, xine is better DVD player, even thought
it is hard to get difrent regions to play, (mplayer handles that britty
easy), gxine is waste of time, only thing were it is really good when
using gnome and you need to listen radio or watch internet tv (I watch
bbc news, for example)

And best things in xine is that it can change audio/subtitle track on
air. In MPlayer it will restart video from beginning. and in MPlayer you
can't change multipletrack file(aka .ogm) subtitles, only audio track
change is supported.

I give xine 8/10 and MPlayer 6/10, MPlayer is light weight media player
when Xine is very hard one.
Orginal message: