Upgrading Production line PCs

Paul Thomas paul at tmsl.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 16:29:36 UTC 2004

On 31/01/2004 15:01 Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

>>> or MySQL
>>
>> We're talking RDBMS's here not 5th rate FUD-ware.
>
> No flames required, Paul. Kindly grow up:

Boring.....

> whatever you may think of them, a large number of organizations use both
> PostgreSQL and MySQL for some sizable projects with good results.

And whatever you think of Microsoft, a large number organisations use
their products with good results. Maybe if you took the time to read
http://sql-info.de/mysql and considered the consequences in terms of the
storage of vital business data, you might learn something.

> In our case, we use Oracle since we consider MS SQL to be 5th-rate
> FUD-ware. So opinions can and will vary.

Compared to Oracle, I'd say your close although I personally have never
liked Oracles '' == null "feature".

> In any event, the original poster likely does not care about either your
> opinion and mine, and posts commenting on the perceived quality of /any/
> RDBMS are not useful to him. Her? I forgot. Only one person has actually
> responded with a useful comment that was on-topic.

Which may well indicate a paucity of OSS options (unless client apps are
Java) which is why I mooted the idea of DB migration

> So, do you know of a way to connect a Linux client to MS SQL or not?
> Help the guy, dammit.

Google threw this up:

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/alberto20000919.php3?page=5

Now let's see you help some-one,,,