Sound problems

Clifford Snow glass-art at comcast.net
Thu Jan 1 01:48:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 12:43, Davy Obdam wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I have some problems with sound on my system. I use gnome. When i try to
> play a DVD movie or listen to a mp3 or cd *often* the sound doesn't
> work. i have enabled "Enabled sound server startup" in Preferences ->
> Sound. Then my sound was working yesterday, but just today it didnt work
> anymore. Checking to see if the sound server is running with "ps -A |
> grep esd"  in the terminal revealed that this server is running. Stil my
> sound doesnt work, sometimes when i try mplayer to play a dvd it says
> that aRts is not running, but isn`t this for kde? I use gnome and at the
> moment dont have kde installed. And what is Alsa? Do i need to install
> either aRts or Alsa? Any help here would be appreciated.

first off - have you check your volume control, speakers and cable?  I
know it sounds trite but I've been caught before by unplugged cables.

Check your log (/var/log/messages) for error messages.

Since you said that you listen to mp3, you must have installed
additional software.  There may be some conflict.  You might want to
remove it to see if that fixes the problem.

--
Clifford Snow