Network startup on IBM Thinkpad

John Ellenberger johne at jellenberger.org
Thu Jan 1 17:55:04 UTC 2004

Have been running Fedora on an older thinkpad (600X) since its release using
a 3COM PC-Card networking card.  After a few updates I am running into
problems with the network not starting up properly.  If I do a normal
unattended reboot everything appears to come-up normally but the network
isn't functioning (can't resolve/ping anything beyond localhost).  If I do a
hard shutdown and go through the file check sequence everything works.  The
machine is usable but it is pretty annoying (and dangerous) to always have
to crash it when I'm rebooting.

Any ideas what is going on here?  Is there a way to force the network to
start when it comes-up without properly initializing?

John