Show Details on Bootup

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Fri Jan 2 00:45:27 UTC 2004

Fritz Whittington wrote:
> Agreed.  Hopefully, he will respond.  [Except that in my case, the "show
> details" in rhgb is *more* ugly, not less :-) ]

Actually, I kind of like rhgb, with the details hidden or not. I think
it's slick. And I think that rhgb is one of the things that linux really
needs to make inroads on the desktop. The kernel's boot procedure needs
an option to disable all normal output (ie, only print anything if it's
an error, otherwise be quiet -- much like how rhgb shows no details at
first but will automatically go into detailed mode if one of the
bootscripts fails). Then the linux boot procedure will basically have no
confusing text scrolling all over the place, it would all be very slick
and professional, and more "computer-illiterate" type people will be
able to use linux (compare with the WinXP bootup procedure).