Flash disk

Margo margo at ozjokes.com
Fri Jan 2 02:28:23 UTC 2004

Fritz Whittington wrote:

> On or about 2004-01-01 00:35, Margo whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and
> scribbled:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Background:
>>
>> When I first installed Fedora I plugged in my flash disk and nothing
>> happened. I worked on this for 3 days and then finally realised that
>> the usb ports weren't working at all. I have since changed the MB and
>> they work.
>>
>> So. Flash disk no 1 now works.
>>
>> Unfortunately Flash disk No 2 got formatted as fat32 to see if that
>> would make it work before I found out the usb ports weren't working.
>>
>> When I plug it in n ow, it's picked up as a flash disk (good) however
>> the filesystem comes up as unknown or not recognised.
>>
>> I have searched everywhere to find out the command to reformat the
>> disk as vfat in linux... perhaps its too basic a command to be in any
>> faq. Can anyone help.
>>
> At the command line, type "man mkfs".
> You probably want to issue:  "mkfs -t msdos /dev/whatever
>
> I'm not sure, but I think FAT32 (-t vfat) isn't supported for flash
> drives....How did you manage to get it formatted that way in the first
> place?

I formatted the flash disk in WinXP :( at the time I didn't know the MB
usb ports on the text computer were stuffed. I tried reformatting using
the flash disk utility so the disk is now fat16 in hwbrowser but fedora
still gives me the same message.

I tried the mkfs command and got bash: command not found

--
Margo

Webmaster
Oz Jokes.com <http://www.ozjokes.com> - Best jokes site on Oz