redhat-network-config + device names/labels

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Fri Jan 2 05:34:47 UTC 2004

I'm trying to figure out how to get redhat-config-network to
recognise/assign a name to my network cards

eg. using a netgear ma401ra wifi pcmcia, instead of it being labelled as
hostap_cs(I'm using hostap drivers instead of orinoco), I would like to get
it named to "Netgear MA401RA Wireless PCMCIA)

Also, I want to find out if it's possible to force a specific name to a
specific
pcmcia/network/wifi card. Say.. I have 2 wifi cards, 1 is the centrino-wifi
(intel pro wireless 2100)using the ndiswrapper driver. and the other is the
netgear.

The issue here is, both of them will default to wlan0 depending on which one
gets loaded up 1st.

if I load up the centrino, it gets wlan0 and netgear gets wlan1.

But if I were to load up netgear 1st, it'll get wlan0 and centrino-wifi gets
wlan1.
This is breaking havoc with my firewall config.

I would like to force it to say..

wlan0 = centrino-wifi
wlan1 = netgear-wifi

NO matter which one is loaded up 1st. If I load up netgear 1st, it will
default to activating wlan1 and not wlan0.

Any ideas??

Cheers,                                                 .^.
Mun Heng, Ow                                            /V\
H/M Engineering                                       /(   )\
Western Digital M'sia                                  ^^-^^
DID : 03-7870 5168                          The Linux Advocate