Show Details on Bootup

R Crunk crunkrb at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 2 06:35:26 UTC 2004

JonShado wrote:
> I find this conversation very interesting. I, personally, just changed
> the runlevel at system start to level 3. And i don't really see how
> hiding what's REALLY going on is going to help the computer illiterate
> people more. I'd say the more a computer does things on it's own and
> hides what it's doing the more problems you run into. Example: Windows.
>
> Computer illiterate people who want to use linux should learn how.
> Computer illiterate people who want to use Windows should also
> learn how. Just because Windows is "easier" to use doesn't make them
> less computer illiterate.
>
> I don't see too many people saying "I want to use a car, but i don't
> want to learn how, i just want to get in and I want the car to know
> where i want to go and how to get me there without me doing anything but
> sitting and watching all the pretty colors."
>
> Anyway, just change the runlevel and login and type 'startx'.

That is pretty much me exactly! As I said in a previous post, I have
been running Suse about a year, plus have loaded several other distro's
just to play with a few days here and there. I just like to be able
to see the details of what is going on when I do have to reboot or
turn the computer on. This is all still a learning experience for
me.

Randall