mounting partition and public directory

Giuseppe Di Bona gdbnet at mail15.com
Fri Jan 2 18:58:35 UTC 2004

Il ven, 2004-01-02 alle 19:50, tar.bz2 ha scritto:
> Le Vendredi 2 Janvier 2004 19:41, Giuseppe Di Bona a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got three problem:
> >
> > 1)
> >
> > These are my partitions on my disk.
> >
> > /dev/hdb1   *         1      1045   8393931   83  Linux
> > /dev/hdb2          1046      2498  11671222+  83  Linux
> >
> > In the first one there is the system and in the second one i've my data.
> > I'm using fedora core 1 and gnome.
> > I'd like to mount my data partition, but i can do it only when i'm root.
> >
> > How can i do that as normal user?
>
> as a norma user in a shell
> su
> passwd
> then mount etc...

Ok i can do it in this way but i'd like to do the same using the right
button of the mouse on gnome desktop --> mount device --> ''entry on
/etc/fstab'', without became root

> > 2)
> >
> > I'd like to have a directory with data that i can share beetwen users,
> >
> > what/where is the best directory i can use in the file system?
>
> between users on the same computer or on a network ?

on the same computer

> > 3)
> >
> > When i use my flash pen disk the system try to mount it using /dev/sda1
> > and tell me that i need to specify the kind of file systems (it is a
> > vfat).
> >
> > Where i can specify that the system must use /dev/sda (instead of
> > /dev/sda1) and the filesystem is a vfat ?
>
> in /etc/fstab, where you need to indicate
> what you want to mount : /dev/sda1
> which type : vfat
> where you want to mount it, for example
> /home/me(username)/mypen(directoryname)
>
> or manually as a super user : mount /dev/sda1 vfat /home/me/mypen

the same as point 1).

When i' attach the usb pen drive automatically i've got an entry on
/etc/fstab, but the entry is wrong!

thanks,

gdb