Installing Fedora from ISO Images

David Hunt david.hunt.linux at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 19:16:58 UTC 2004

Here is a bit of a follow-up from the second install attempt:

        On the first install I selected the "Automatic Partition" option,
and got the following warning. "boot partition /boot may not meet booting
constraints for your architecture. Creation of a boot disk is highly
encouraged." Interesting that I have gotten this message from Red Hat 8.0
(purchased retail version) and now the Fedora installation. A problem to
tackle another day I imagine. I am wondering if the /boot partition needs to
be located within a special area of the disk space. I have successfully
loaded SuSE and Mandrake with my current partitions.

        With the automatic option Fedora created 3 partitions (/boot, / ,
/swap). Unfortunately it was corrupted badly enough that even PartitionMagic
refused to launch. Why? I don't know. With the Mandrake installer, I was
able to delete these partitions, and replace them with a single (/)
partition. After that PartitionMagic launched, and I created a 2GB
Journalised FS : ext3 partition, and placed the .ISO files there. Ran
md5sum, still looked good.

        I re-installed Mandrake, and followed all of the steps of the
my single partition (/). This time with the ISO files on a second ext3
partition (not FAT32), everything appeared to be OK. The installation ran
all the way through to the post-install configuration. Yehaaa!!! But, don't
pull out the beer just yet, then it crashed as follows:

mini-wm: fatal io error 2 (connection reset by peer) on x server :1.0
the application "anaconda" lost its connection to the display :1.0
most likely the X server was shut doun or you killed/destroyed the
application
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...

without completing the post-intall config, the bootloader wasn't set up, so
while I have solved the "install from ISO files" issue, thanks to all of you
for your help, I havn't yet successfully loaded Fedora. Does anyone
recognoze the error above? I'm afraid that I can stil use some help.