Show Details on Bootup

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Fri Jan 2 19:16:57 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-01 21:10, Rodolfo J. Paiz whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> At 20:47 1/1/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Hi there, maybe it's just me, but why use the graphical boot at all?
>> I just uninstalled the rpm and if you still want a graphical login you
>> just set initdefault:5 in /etc/inittab.... (which you probably allready
>> have...)
>

> A graphical boot sequence, and booting into a graphical user
> interface, are two entirely different things.
>
> I am personally delighted that the graphical boot is finally maturing
> (and waiting for a graphical shutdown to keep it company). Several
> computer-illiterate users have commented to me that watching all that
> cryptic text flying across the screen scares them and has convinced
> them (just from that one little detail) that Linux is for
> computer-savvy people only since it /must/ be difficult to understand
> all that.

We agree in principle, I think.  Would the easiest implementation be to
throw all those text start-up and shut-down lines to one of the
<alt><ctl>F[2-5] text screens instead of the main console?  That way,
they would always be there, but never seen by anyone who didn't know how
to look at them.  Doesn't require any complicated configuration files to
be indentified/discovered/edited, either.

--
Fritz Whittington
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. (Marie Ebner von Eschenbach, Aphorisms, 1905)