first impression RH8 to FC1 upgrade

Colin J Thomson colin at g6avk.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 22:48:00 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

Well I finally got the courage and upgraded my very customized RH8 to FC1,
and overall first impressions are quite good and although I use FC1 on with
a custom 2.4.23 kernel, it seems a little faster as well, according to
Dbench, Hdparm etc..

Just having a slight problem building my Alsa-drivers but thats another
topic/list..
As with all upgrades I did run into some issues, such as many broken sym
links and config files that needed to be re-configured and fixed, took some
time but was quicker than doing a Full install ;)

There was also an issue with XFree86-mesa-libgl which stopped me from
running UT2003, "Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"
error but this was easily solved by visiting the NVidia forums, here is the
link for anyone who runs into this:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=9e63c09482c398a677e788e6e051881f&threadid=16084&highlight=XFree86DRI+missing

As a note I use NVidia's own 4620 Beta driver and had no problems at all
with that..

I also find that being accustomed to kde-redhat's cool packages, I have
found there are a few things that are missing, Kappfinder and Kmix is not
in the Kmenu and old versions old the 3d Screensavers and so on.. anyone
else seen this?

Which leads me onto a question, the KMenu is huge! I normally run at 800*600
res and before the upgrade to FC1 Kmenu used to show just one column, nice
and small with about 10 "most used apps" with the FC1 KDE, I have had to
drop the "most used apps" down to 4 or it completely takes over the screen,
is there a way I can fix this, ie reduce the size and not the content?

Anyway, very pleased with the overall package now I have it all running
quite well and updated.. And will try out kde3.2 in the very near furture..

Happy New year..
Colin
--
The manual said "Requires WinBlows '95 or better" ...so I installed Linux!