Running Anaconda in text mode

David Hunt david.hunt.linux at comcast.net
Sat Jan 3 00:57:16 UTC 2004

In an earlier email, from the "Installing Fedora from ISO Images"
thread, I wrote:
The installation ran all the way through to the post-install
configuration. Yehaaa!!!
But, don't pull out the beer just yet, then it crashed as follows:

mini-wm: fatal io error 2 (connection reset by peer) on x server :1.0
the application "anaconda" lost its connection to the display :1.0
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed the
application
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...

In a response to this, same thread,  Rick Stevens wrote:

I'd recommend you try the install again, but install in text mode--not
in graphic mode ("boot: text").
If that works, then we can work on getting X functional.

In the "Anaconda crashes at random places during install" thread Josh
Burks wrote:

>Anaconda still crashes when it tries to run X, but the text based install
>ran without flaw. After installed, I stuck my NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 and X
>found the card and let me configure it. Everything seems great.

So, the question is...   How exactly do I force a text-based install?
Is this a LILO option that I set in lilo.conf?

Thanks again for everyone helping out.