Installing Fedora from ISO Images - Question again

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Sat Jan 3 15:25:21 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-02 14:22, David Hunt whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

>>On or about 2004-01-02 11:29, Barry Yu whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and
>>

>scribbled:
>

>>>I am very musch interested that how you can load the Mandrake into a
>>>

>laptop without both floppy drive and cdrom (If I >>understand your laptop
>equipped devices correctly), would you care to share?
>
>Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I have a CD-ROM/DVD drive, I just
>don't have a CD-WRITER or a Floppy Drive in my laptop. Both of those were
>extra.
>

>>On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:10:12 -0600 Fritz Whittington wrote:
>>If he does have a CD-ROM drive, I think he would be best advised to go to
>>

>one of the places on the Net which will mail you the >3 CDs for less than
>$5. That's what I did, because even though I have a CD burner, I have a 56k
>dialup connection :-( and >downloading them would have taken longer than the
>US mail...
>
>As for ordering the CD's. That was actually my first thought as well. After
>purchasing commercial versions of SuSE and Red Hat, I realized that goofing
>around with Linux was getting expensive, so I ordered Mandrake from
>CheapBytes. That worked out really well. I just thought that if Fedora was
>planning on rolling out a new revision every 4 months, that would be a whole
>lot of ordering and worst of all waiting. Yes, it's true. My quest for
>rather spend an entire weekend repartitioning my hard-drive and loading
>operating systems, than wait for the mail. Crazy? Perhaps not. I've learned
>a lot this weekend.

Well, true enough, and so have the rest of us following this saga.  But
now that you've got it running, you shouldn't have to do all this again
next April or May.  Having a reasonably fast connection from Comcast,
you can just use apt or yum to upgrade to FC2.  That will probably be a
little faster than downloading the entire iso set.

--
Fritz Whittington
Man is by nature a political animal. (Aristotle, Politics)