irssi + screen + gnome-terminal problems

Vic Gedris vic at gedris.org
Sat Jan 3 15:47:06 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 01:42:44AM +0100, Simon wrote:
[snip]

> Quote:
> "I have a screen session running with irssi in it. I discovered that
> gnome-terminal after a short while experiences graphics corruption in
> the tab where screen/irssi was running. ^L would sort this, but only
> until the next update of any text would occur. Leaving this for another
> 10-15 minutes the whole gnome-terminal process would start taking long
> time to redraw _any_ window and starting a top in an xterm would reveal
> gnome-terminal eating 99% CPU until the redraw was done."
>
> I'm using Fedora Core 1 and I updated all three programs to the last
> release but I have still the same problem.
[snip]

I have the exact same problem using gnome-terminal, where I'm ssh'd over
to another box running screen with mutt in it.  It was happening with
Redhat 9 as well.  Doesn't happen on my Debian machines.

I raised a bug in Redhat 9 Bugzilla, but the problem is still happening.

My only workaround so far has been to hit "CTRL-a d" to detach the
screen, then "screen -dr" to reattach.  However, sometimes the CPU just
keeps chugging along (probably infinitely?) so I kill the window and
start over.

Very annoying.

Perhaps we should raise this issue againon Fedora-Devel-List and
Bugzilla again....

Cheers,
Vic

--