sendmail quickstart guide?

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Sat Jan 3 15:48:52 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-02 22:43, Rodolfo J. Paiz whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> At 16:45 1/2/2004, you wrote:
>
>> > I doubt it's the best, but I wrote it and I like it and it's
>> probably all
>> > you need as a starting place:
>> >
>> > http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.php
>> >
>> Yes, I think this is a good one, I liked it.
>>
>> But I think _maybe_ you could update it according to our correspondence
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-December/msg01035.html
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-December/msg01071.html
>

> I have every intention of doing so, Cristoph. Your comments and
> experience are going to be very valuable, and indeed I have saved
> copies of those emails. <smile>
>
> However, Benjamin Weiss and I are now cooperating on a "Simple
> Mailserver HOWTO" with greater scope. The idea is to teach someone how
> to take a "bare metal" Fedora box and build it into a safe, reliable
> mail server (SMTP/POP3/IMAP) with encrypted logins, spam reduction,
> and anti-virus scanning; and to do this with the user's choice of
> either Sendmail or Postfix.
>
> Since the job is significantly larger than the one I already finished,
> I've frozen development of the Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO and will
> concentrate on bringing all this new material to the new document so
> that we can get a first version put together and published ASAP.
>
> Cheers,

Sounds great.  Although I'm not sure that the words "safe, reliable mail
server" and "Sendmail" belong in the same sentence.  "Postfix" probably
does.  While there may be a certain amount of overlap, I suspect that it
will be lots easier to follow if you make two completely separate
documents.  The overlap can be mostly conveniently handled by
copy-and-paste.  And if you release the Postfix one first and wait a few
months, there might not be any demand for a Sendmail version :-)

--
Fritz Whittington
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. (Mahatma Gandhi)