vmware 4.0 on Fedora?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jan 3 17:23:50 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 03.01.2004 schrieb Fritz Whittington um 17:05:
> On or about 2004-01-02 18:33, Ben Steeves whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
> and scribbled:
>
> >On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 19:42, Carey Jung wrote:
> >

> >>Anybody had any luck running Vmware on Fedora?  I'm about to give it a
> >>try and was just wondering.
> >>

> >The archives are full of helpful suggestions on the matter, but I can
> >summarize it by the following:
> >
> >- make sure you have the kernel-source installed for your running kernel
> >
> >- do 'export CC=gcc32' before running 'vmware-config.pl'
> >

> I've seen several posts with this 'export CC=gcc32' caveat and gather
> that the FC1 kernel was compiled with gcc32, but the supplied default
> compiler is gcc33.

Correct. A simple

head -n 1 /var/log/dmesg

confirms that.

>   Couldn't we get around this problem by re-compiling
> the kernel with gcc33, and then we'd be done with it?

Question: Do you think Red Hat included and uses gcc32 just for fun?

Answer: No. They had a reason:

http://www.linux.org.uk/~davej/docs/fedora-kernel-faq.txt

Q. Why is the kernel compiled with gcc32 ?
A. It's a known-to-be-good compiler. The compiler used for everything
   else (3.3.2 as shipped with FC1) is somewhat newer.

CU
thl