how do I enable ssl for apache

Ron Peters rbpeters at peterro.com
Sun Jan 4 00:34:57 UTC 2004

> Am So, den 04.01.2004 schrieb Ron Peters um 00:51:
>
> [ snip ]
>
>> Ok, I've done these steps and was able to get the server restarted
>> without
>> errors.  But now, when I go to https://myserver.com, I get this popup
>> message:  The connection to myserver.com has terminated unexpectedly.
>> Some
>> data may have been transferred.
>>
>> I see no errors in any httpd log.  If I telnet to myserver 443, I get
>> this:

Trying again with correct syntax:

Trying 172.16.5.4...
Connected to myserver.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET duh.html HTTP/1.0 (yes, duh.html does exist)

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:25:15 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.47 (Fedora)

<title>400 Bad Request</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Bad Request</h1>
<hr />
<address>Apache/2.0.47 (Fedora) Server at www.myserver.com Port 443</address>
Connection closed by foreign host.

The above does generate an entry in the myserver.com-error.log file like
this:

[Sat Jan 03 16:25:15 2004] [error] [client 172.16.5.2] Invalid URI in
request GET duh.html HTTP/1.0

I guess the error returned is becaue I added 2 carriage returns.  If I
don't put two in, the server just doesn't respond with anything.

> There are:
> /var/log/httpd/ssl_access_log
> /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log
> Especially the error log file should contain relating data for
> debugging.

These log files aren't reporting anything at all.

> Does "apachectl -t" and "apachectl -S" report both OK?

These both return "Syntax OK"

> Alexander

Anything else?
Ron.